Jetzt brauche ich nur noch einen großen Fernseher…
Posts Tagged ‘wii’
Last week my Wii’s WiFi connection suddenly stopped working. Today I tried to fix it and went through the same trial-and-error episode as everytime I try to set up our WLAN router and its connected devices. Next time I’ll hopefully remember this post:
- First disable all stuff that might cause the erroneous behavior: encryption, MAC filtering. Insecure but this will only last some minutes.
- Enable SSID broadcast. Restart the router.
- Make up a 13 char password. Use your brain or a tool like
pwgen -s1 13
- To generate the new key visit a Wireless Encryption Key calculator of your choice. The first hit one Google will probably be fine.
- Enter the made up password into the calculator. Probably a box called “ASCII Custom Phrase” or something.
- Copy the hexadecimal result.
- Configure your router (an old model by SMC at my site): Wireless – Security: WEP encrytion type: 128 bit; Key generation method: ASCII; enter 13 char password into the “Key 1″ field. Set “Key 1″ active. Apply.
- My Wii: use the 13 char password in the connection settings.
- Dad’s PDA:use the 26 char hexadecimal result from the WEP calculator.
- At last: enable MAC filtering; disable SSID broadcast.
Should work now.